Protocol call on:Evening Tea at Maharaja's Bharatpur Palace

It was last week of October 1968 and I had just assumed the charge of  SDM, Hqs. Bharatpur .Then DM Late Shri  Vinay Vyas asked me to call on Dist.Judge ,District SP and the then Maharaja Bharatpur ,Shri Brijendra Singh as required by Protocol.Privy Purse of Princely States had not, by then elapsed and Maharaja enjoyed some privileges still.
Upon appointment fixed  at 5.30PM, I arrived at the Gol Bag Palace dot on time and was ushered in  Durbar Hall  by ADC cum PS .At one end large sofa I was requested  to sit. With  folded hands and  a little bow I sat .At the central  sofa Maharaja was sitting looking  a little lost while nodding  to acknowledge  my greetings. 
As he knew in advance who I was, I probably uttered just my name and kept  quiet .Erstwhile  Maharaja, Shri Brijendra Singh was known for his short temper.I came to know a few stories relating the same later on.
Discretion is better than valour proverb prompted  me to sit quietly while tea was served in silver cutlery .
I quickly  surveyed the Durbar Hall with wall hangings of  dead stuffed  tigers and  spotted  deers. 
Suddenly, I realized Maharaja had a long  cane stick with him lying on the sofa.His son, Vishvedra, 7-8 year old chubby boy sitting  on floor  carpet was busy or seemed to be  engrossed in writing  his  lessons or doing  sums.The cane and  glum if not gloomy looking Maharaja sat statuesque on the sofa without  uttering a word. 
I sipped  my tea quickly and  sought leave by looking at  Maharaja who  nodded again.
The entire proceeding was completed without any unlikely  turn of event though  I had realized that Maharaja was inclined to to use  his cane in  chastisement to teach  his own son at home..
His son  now a majestic  person Shri Vishvedra Singh, Minister  of Tourism in Congress  Government until November 2023 is a strong  leader and person to reckon with. 
Down memory lane ,I can't  recall  his boyish face though  the event  is etched in a nich as an unforgettable one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GAD & Cabinet Department Posting: Experience in Emergency Administration

1971 Indo-Pak War Diary- 2 :--Mig 21 AF Plane Saved Barmer Town

Surat Sojourn and Rafi Night