GAD & Cabinet Department Posting: Experience in Emergency Administration

After Kadana Mahi Project Agreement was signed between Rajasthan HD Joshi and Gujarat Governor 's Adviser Sareen in the Chamber and presence of Jagjivan Ram,then Irrigation Minister GOI I had called  on then Secretary DOP TVRamnan en route to Banswara.He asked me if services of an IAS Officer were  still required to work as Director, Kadana Resettlement, I said boldly and frankly 'No' because executing rehabilitation  work could be completed by Engineers and Revenue officers  posted there.
On arrival  at Banswara I received   posting orders for Deputy Secretary GAD and Cabinet  by wireless  enjoining me to take charge immediately. I rushed to Jaipur  next day leaving family behind  
After signing charge report on 30th July 1975, I was escortsed sraight to Cabiet Room I found Hon. Shri PR Maderna Revenue Minister who had been a great  support at Barmer during Indo-Pak War 1971.He looked at my nervous looking face and  addressed me '" Srivastava ji ,Ghabraiye nahin;aap sab seekh lenge " His remarks gave me  strength and  confidence  and I determined myself to do my best. Revenue Minister as Chairman Cabinet Commitee was holding discussions  on important bills relatingt to: AgriculturalIndebtedness,Moneylenders and Bonded Labour etc.
Mohan Mukherjee,Chief Secretary was my Secretary.I came to enjoy his confidence and he  delegated nearly  omnibus powers to me  only to seek guidance if  I felt  absolutely  necessary. Currently,Add CS rank officers are posted to man GAD and Cabinet Department. 
My charge included Tourism ,Hotel Corporation Grants to NGOs for cultural activities etc besides Protocol,State Garage , Freedom Fighter Welfare.
I attended fist  Cabinet meeting  sitting behind CS, on 15th August 1975.The first seats  on either side of  CM were occupied by CM Baid ,Finance Minister and Shri PR  Maderna Revenue Minister who decided to address  CM putting  his on his shoulder "Joshiji, Ye apne bahut achha Kiya Jo Srivastava ko GAD mein le aaye" .Everyone  including me and CS overheard  his remarks.
Next moment , telephone sounded urgent.As CM picked  up the receiver and  listened his hand dropped it and he looked  quite upset.He announced  that Sheikh Mujiburahman and family were brutally  killed by General Rahman who had seized power in Bangladesh. 
Cabinet meeting was declared ended.
This is third blog on my Emergency  Experience 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1971 Indo-Pak War Diary- 2 :--Mig 21 AF Plane Saved Barmer Town

Surat Sojourn and Rafi Night