Breakfast at Maharana Palace Udaipur

Memory recalls that  some day in February 1976 I had  received a surprise invitation for breakfast at 8AM with ( Maharana) Bhagwat  Singh at his  Palace residence at Udaipur.
 I was posted  thn as Deputy Secretary GAD and  Cabinet in Government of Rajasthan 
ASsI was being escorted  through  zig zag staircase and passageways I mulled over the possible  reason for such an invitation .When  I reached the landing  nearly on top of the  magnificent Palace overlooking Lake Pichhola and famous  Lake Palace Hotel I could absorb  the beauty embodied  Lake and the Hotel  shining like  a jewel with  Jag Mandir Palace like a little island besides newly  sprung  modern hotels sunrays drenched and shining in the morning sun.
As I turned back I saw Bhagwat Singh ji  (until then  known and  addressed as Maharana )seated on a chair near stone bench .He asked me to sit  on a chair kept  close to him .Formalities  over,he offered  me sweets and fruits  which I slowly munched and chewed .
Soon he came to his point  of meeting  me.He pointed out that ocher colored Kapad dwar ,cloth  storage Kotharis located right below on the second floor  belonged to him as personal  property according  to terms of Covenant ( Agreement signed with Government of India at the time of merger with the United  States of Rajasthan. )According  to him, Revenue Settlement Department  continuesd to occupy part of Kapadwar unauthorizedly.He also asked me to look below and see the location of Kapaddwar. In line with administrative system working  I assured him to look into the matter and resolve it as soon as possible. 
   Though I recall  having taken steps  to enquire I think  Settlement Department did not vacate the said small accommodation until I left GAD on transfer  to Sriganganagar as Collector and  DM.
Bhagwat Singh ji was not  known  for magnanimity and considered it proper to raise the small  accommodation issue and Government as usual  had  it taken it in stride and due course  proceedings would  take their own time.

Let an esteemed  reader  find out if Kapad dwar is still in the possession of Government of Rajasthan 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GAD & Cabinet Department Posting: Experience in Emergency Administration

1971 Indo-Pak War Diary- 2 :--Mig 21 AF Plane Saved Barmer Town

Surat Sojourn and Rafi Night